Supporting Children, Youth, and Families in Greater Vancouver since 1990

Home Share FAQ

What is my role?

The purpose of the Home Share Provider is to provide a safe and nurturing environment to an adult in need. Your role is to provide safe care and support for the person you have invited into your life, in a welcoming, inclusive environment. You are responsible for the safety, health, and the well-being of the individual 24 hours a day. You need to make sure that they have opportunities for personal and social development within your household, with their family, and as a member of the broader community.

Who are the individuals I will work with?

Our clients have a variety of needs, including behavioural, cognitive, and mental health challenges.

Some individuals simply need a home where people will care about them. They require minimal supervision, but need the support and stability that comes from living in a home, rather than an institution. Others have greater care needs – needs we can help meet through staff support while the client lives in your home. Others need to be in a small-group facility where day programs are available.

How does Hollyburn Family Services support?

Before the placement, Hollyburn works with the individual and their family and other support network to develop a service plan for the individual. A service plan describes the assistance and support that the individual requires in daily living. It is tailored to reflect the unique preferences and support needs of each individual. The individual, often with assistance from their family and our team, is involved in the development of their service plan.

While the individual is living in your home, a dedicated member of our team will be available to provide support to help you ensure that the individual’s goals in the service plan are being met, and to assist with any challenges that may arise, as needed or at minimum on a quarterly basis. Our Home Share team is available to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Our Home Share team will also advocate for the needs of the individual in your home to access additional services beyond the scope of what is generally provided through home share, as well as provide training specific to the needs of the individual.

What is the length of stay of an individual in my home?

The length of stay can vary. Some individuals will live with a caregiver for less than a month, some for 6 month and some for many years.

Can I work outside my home?

Yes. You can work outside your home if there is another adult present in the home who is approved by Hollyburn Family Services to provide caregiving services to the individual (i.e partner or other family member).

What if I need to go on vacation?

Respite coverage is allowed by someone you know who has been approved by Hollyburn Family Services. The individual must move into your home and care for the individual in your absence.

What should I expect to be paid?

The rates vary based on the needs of the individual, but Home Share Providers can expect to be paid between $1500-$4000 per month.