Functional Behaviour Assessments (FBA)®
Hollyburn provides functional behaviour assessments for children who have been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
A Functional Behaviour Assessment (FBA) identifies where, when and why a problematic behaviour occurs. The information is then used to inform the development of a function-based behaviour support plan that includes strategies to address the reasons why the behaviour is occurring. The FBA process includes the following phases:
- Indirect Assessment:
- Interviews with relevant stakeholders and completion of questionnaires and surveys.
- Identify and define the target challenging behaviors, the circumstances under which they occur, and determine most appropriate contexts for observations.
- Descriptive Assessment:
- Observations of the child directly across various environments (e.g., home, school, community) with different stakeholders.
- Conduct data collection.
- Functional Analysis (FA):
- Experimentally evaluate the functional variables identified from the descriptive assessment.
- Identify and analyze relevant motivation and reinforcers for the target behavior.
- Data Analysis
- Use data to depict results of descriptive assessment and FA.
- Assessment Report Preparation & Goals
- Formally summarize the information obtained across all phases of the FBA.
- Develop function-related treatment related goals based on the results of the FBA.